Monday 5 August 2013

तन्दूरी भेंन कबाब​ (Lotus Stem Kebab) | Gluten Free | Vegan | Pregnancy Recipes | Step Wise |


DSC_4250-001

Hi All!!
Ever since I’ve announced the current event in my blog, I’m nostalgic about my pregnancy days, so many memories but what I remember the most is my stay at Mom’s place..As a custom I had gone to stay with my parents by the end of 7th month. And friends custom or no custom, I personally feel that there can be no other place more comforting than parents home. Living your entire life with them, the ease and comfort one experiences that can’t be replaced by any other person or place especially when one is going through so many internal changes, one needs emotional support. The love, the attention parents shower on their daughter and the baby is unimaginable.
My parents were so excited to have me and tried all means to keep me happy. My happiness did manifold, when my Grandmother and my youngest first cousin R came down to stay with us. My Grandmother wanted to be there to enjoy my pregnancy and be there to guide me. Every day after my dad came back from office he would ask me what I would like to eat, and if I had any food cravings (which I normally never had) were fulfilled immediately. I was a pampered daughter for those two months of pregnancy..
One day I told my mom that I felt like eating Chirote. My Mom was a bit surprised with my demand, as I had avoided eating that dish for so many years and now in my pregnancy I was craving to eat it. Now, making Chirote was not an easy task but she made them for me. Then another day, I felt like eating dhirade (kind of pancakes) and my grandmother pampered me by making them for me. It was a delight to watch my Grandmother cook as she hardly cooked in those days.
But pregnancy was not only eating and hogging… I was quite particular about myself in those days. My day would start with a boiled egg and a glass of milk. Then I would eat a fruit around 10am (no papaya). Have proper lunch of rice, dal, sabzi , roti with salad & curds. Eat an apple and a glass of milk around 5pm and then have roti, curry and salad for dinner.
Till the end of my sixth month of pregnancy I would do sweeping and mopping regularly at home. All household chores were done by me. It was at the onset of my seventh month of pregnancy that I stopped mopping but sweeping continued. And from my eighth month I would walk 3kms everyday and even after moving with my Mum, my cousin R would accompany me for my walks. She was a friend to me that time though she is younger than me by 9yrs, but we hold a special bond. We would play cards, chat and watch TV together.
       R is the youngest of all the siblings and had written her X boards and was awaiting her result. She had come to spend the summer vacation with me and in her was a caring sweet little sister. After the kid was born she would help me so much with the kid. She would love playing with him. I still can’t believe that  she is married now and is on a family way. I promised her that I would post healthy and yet tasty dishes and that’s when I thought that I should help many more pregnant women by reaching out to them with my preparations and my experiences. So, I came up with this theme of ‘Only’ Food For Pregnancy..
I got hold of lotus stem recently during my Veggie shopping. I love the lotus stem and have posted a few recipes with it earlier too but for those who are not aware of it’s Health Benefits, they are:
· They are very rich in iron, which is required for RBC formation in blood.
· There is good amount of calcium also present, required for maintenance and repair of bones and teeth.
· Lotus stem is high in dietary fiber. It is highly recommended for pregnant women and people with chronic complain of constipation.
· The chlorophyll present in the stack acts as active anti oxidant to fight against cancer producing free radicals.
I thought of making a kebab with it. Ground lotus stem has a meaty texture, makes it perfect for making kebab. I used my tandoor to make the kebab but one can make them on a pan or oven too.
DSC_4254-002

Tandoori Bhein (Lotus Stem) Kebab

Preparation Time: 1hour | Cooking Time: 5mins per batch | Makes: 16-18 | Serves: 4-5 | Difficulty Level: Moderate

Ingredients
3-4 lotus stems, peeled, sliced and boiled
1green chili
4-5garlic flakes
an inch piece ginger
1/2cup chutney dal/ puttani dal
3-4tbsp chopped mint
3/4cup fried onion
salt to taste
1/2tsp garam masala
3-4tbsp oil
2tsp lemon juice or amchoor (dry mango pwd) or any sour taste of your choice
Dry Spices:
1tbsp coriander pwd
1tsp cumin pwd
1tsp red chili pwd
Method
P1090736
Pressure cook the lotus stem along with few slices of lemon for up to 5-6 whistles or after the pressure has set, cook on slow flame for 20mins. Adding lemon prevents discoloration of the stem.
P1090739
Cool the stem, drain and grind it smooth.
P1090738P1090743
Finely chop ginger, garlic and green chili (I used my hand mixer).
P1090745P1090746P1090747P1090749
Heat 2tsp oil and sauté the ginger-garlic-chili mix. Add the dry spices,chutney dal and roast the mix lightly.
P1090751P1090752
Grind the dal-spice mix along with fried onions and add it to the lotus stem.
P1090754
Add garam masala, lemon juice, salt to taste, a tablespoon oil and chopped mint. Mix thoroughly.
Take large marble size portion, make a ball, flatten and shape the kebab.
P1090755P1090756P1090757
Preheat the tandoor or griddle. Brush oil on both the sides of the kebab and place it in the tandoor or roast on the griddle on both the sides, till you see dark spots. This kebab looks darker as the color of the stem itself after boiling is brownish plus the fried onions add the dark color.
Sprinkle chaat masala. Serve hot with salad and green chutney.

DSC_4248-001
Sending this to my event ‘Only’ Food For Pregnancy, hosted here.
Tips
If you find that the kebab mix is very moist then add more of ground chutney dal or add some bread. But moist mix give succulent kebabs.
While frying onions be careful that you don’t burn them else it will spoil the taste with the bitterness.
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

18 comments:

akanksha said...

Good one tai....I often see the stems arnd here in the mkt but never bought them. ..next time I will n try out this light on heart recipe.

great-secret-of-life said...

interesting Kebab.. New to me.. must try

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

I so love lotus stems but never get to see them here. these kebabs look incredible.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Kebabs look so delicious and inviting. Excellent pics.
Deepa

Vimitha Durai said...

Very healthy kebab recipe dear

Priya Anandakumar said...

very very interesting and lovely kebabs...

Divya Shivaraman said...

will try this...very interesting recipe

Akila said...

Looks yummy

Unknown said...

This is new to me and looks delicious :-)

Suhaina said...

wow..never heard of it before..looks delish..

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious dear...love it

nayana said...

very nice an delicious recipe, never made anything yet with lotus stems... Today's post : http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in/2013/08/carrot-apple-gingerale.html

Droolsss said...

Didn't realize that lotus stem was so healthy. .Thanks for that info. Kebabs look lovely

Unknown said...

tempting kebabs, never tired lotus stem any time before...

Priya Suresh said...

Such a healthy kebab, wish i get this much super fresh lotus stem here..

Chitz said...

Never knew abt this.. So healthy it is.. Loved ur pre-write up too.. A nice one :)

AJ said...

They look delicious!

pepperoni pizza recipe said...

I think this is one of the best kebab which i have not seen yet, and it looks very delicious really i want to taste your kebab.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails