Tuesday 17 April 2012

Lentil-Spinach Sandwich


DSC_1566-001


Hi All!

Sorry for an abrupt break, believe me it was forced on me by my non functioning laptop :-(.

Recently, I was reading the article in the Times Of India about obesity in children. The article mentioned that about 19% of school children are overweight. In order to give children a healthy diet, mothers at times go overboard and provide them high on fats and carbohydrates diet. It is important to see what kind of ingredients we are adding to our food and also their calorific values so as to keep a check on the calorie intake. If you read my snack section carefully, you would notice that I rarely indulge in deep frying and try to incorporate fresh and healthy ingredients to make snacks.

In my attempt to make a healthy and a balanced food item which is low in fats, I made this snack which is perfect for everyone. It’s a high on protein and a mineral rich sandwich. In my attempt to give the kid a healthy, filling and yet a tasty food, I keep using the greens in my cooking in some way or another, plus I've to ensure that he also gets sufficient protein in his diet. 



This snack is a perfect blend of proteins and greens in a very tasty way. I've used my dry version of Daal-Palak to make this sandwich and believe me, the kid ate it without making a fuss. I cooked the lentils enough to have a grainy texture, I did that intentionally so that the lentils are clearly visible. I've used a whole wheat garlic bread to make the sandwich, one is free to use their choice of bread but I must say, it's better to avoid processed flour bread.

I used the Panini Grill to give the perfect grill marks on the sandwich, the marks definitely makes the sandwich look more attractive.



Spinach-Lentil Sandwich 

Makes:8
Serves:3-4
Preparation Time: 45mins
Cooking Time: 3mins per sandwich


Ingredients

Whole Wheat Bread Slices:16
Daal Palak Curry
half onion (sliced)
Home made garlic oil
chaat masala




 Method

Take a bread slice.




Spread the daal-palak on a bread slice.





Put a few onion strips over it. Sprinkle some chaat masala.




Cover it with another bread slice and press gently. Cover it with another bread slice and press gently.




Lightly brush the home made garlic oil on the outer part of bread slices.Grill in a Panini or sandwich maker.



Serve with salad.

DSC_1575-001


Sending this to my event ‘Only’ Snacks & Starters hosted by Raji at Vegetarian Tastebuds.
Sending this sandwich to my event ‘Only’ Sandwiches, burgers & Panini, guest hosted by Savi-Ruchi.

If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

28 comments:

Archana said...

Looks yum the sandwich. The pictures are great. I do agree that we need to provide a healthy diet. Using Daal palak is new to me. will try it out.

hotpotcooking said...

Yum bread sandwich

Zareena said...

mmmm...... yummy and delicious evening snack item.

Balvinder said...

Hey, this is a great idea. I cook daal separately for the toasts. My husband hates potatoes so its mostly lentil that I stuff in toast.

Anisha said...

I would love this sandwich... Great idea... will definitely try it.

Square Meals said...

Looks yummy :-)

Aparna

Priya Suresh said...

Simply love the filling of this sandwich,yumm..

Asiya Omar said...

LOVELY :)).SUPERB PRESENTATION.

Sravs said...

Superb spinach sandwich !! very healthy and appetizing one !!

Ongoing event
CC:Spring Seasonal Food

R said...

yes, kids r definitely eating way too much junk food. this sandwich looks like a perfect option to tempt them back :)

Hema said...

Very healthy and delicious sandwich, yummy filling..

Gayathri NG said...

Healthy n filling sandwich...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Looks yum and delicious.

Vimitha Durai said...

Such a healthy sandwich variety Pari... Perfect for bf

Rosh said...

Super easy! Super delicious! Love the flavours combined...


Chef Al dente New monthly series: Meal of the Month! Send in your entries for April now...

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

A very healthy and delicious sandwich. I'm sure kids would love it...And the grill marks definitely make it very attractive

Kannada Cuisine said...

Looks super yummy...my son will also love it

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

such a lovely and healthy idea... wud have never thought of putting dal into sandwich but i love it!

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Very healthy and yummy lunch box idea

Reshmi said...

very healthy and super snaps..
Noel collections

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious sandwich

Prema said...

wow healthy breakfast,luks delicious...

Suparna said...

great idea with wonderful innovations, healthy and filling for any meal time :P

Smita Srivastava said...

What a wonderful combination ...love it :)

Az said...

yummy and healthy!!

Anonymous said...

Very healthy and lovely snadwich. You can send it in my ongoing event, dear.

Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Healthy Breakfast Ideas".

Spice up the Curry said...

looks great. love it . pics are so cute

Savi-Ruchi said...

the sandwich looks tempting Pari. Thanks for sending it to the event :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails