Sunday 8 May 2011

For My MOMS and Posting the 251st, Sambhar Vadai… a fried treat after a long time

 

P1060278

Hi All!

Days are rolling by and the work pressure is manifesting and at times managing home and work seems a herculean task. There are times when I wake up with the thought of  quitting the job but by the end of the day I am still working and continuing to hate myself for being so tired and unorganised. I know, all the working Moms would empathise with me and so I dedicate this post to all the Moms and Moms to be who work so hard to keep the family running, to make the family feel special and love them endlessly….

WISH YOU A HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!!

I had made this combo a while ago and my MIL who is here with us had simply loved eating it, so I thought of posting this for her and also for my Mom who is still recuperating after her major surgery. To  both my Moms, for just being there for me, when I needed you.

This recipe is very common in South Indian homes as the vadai keeps frequenting their kitchen but for us it was a treat as I do not indulge into frying that easily.

I had made this combo for a  Sunday brunch and for which I got up around five in the morning to grind the batter, make the sambhar, the chutney and before every body woke up,  I was done with my photography session too…

The vadai turned out light and crisp and the sambhar and chutney just blended well with it.

P1060279

Ingredients For the Vadai

2 cups Urad dal soaked

7-8 green chillies

2 inch piece ginger

7-8 sprigs of curry leaves

2tsp cumin seeds

Salt to taste

P1060275

Method

Soak the urad dal for 4-5 hours and then grind it. Beat the paste with a beater.

The trick to making good vadai lies in grinding the lentil with minimum water to a paste and then beating the paste to double in volume. A thick and nicely beaten batter makes crisp and spongy vadai.

FOOD2-6

Grind together the green chillies, ginger and curry leaves coarsely and mix it with the beaten batter along with salt to taste and cumin seeds.

Wet your hands and take a small portion of the batter (a medium sized lemon) and  flatten it on the four fingers using your thumb and make a hole in the centre and slide the flattened batter into  medium hot oil and deep fry the vadai till golden brown in colour. Remove it on a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. One can fry 3-4 vadais at the same time.

I served the vadai with a Tamilian style sambhar that I had made using the Sambhar Masala S got for me from the famous Grand Sweets in Chennai and to go along with it I made the coconut chutney. I garnished the sambhar- Vadai in the Sarvana Bhavan style with some chopped onions.

P1060273



If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

28 comments:

Vidhya said...

Vadais look so yum and ofcourse its ok to have a fried snack for your 251 post.Happy mothers day to you too.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Making me hungry.......... lovely click

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy vadai perfect tea time snack delicious
thoughtful dedication
hope your mom gets better soon and glad to hear it a favourite of your mom in law
happy mother's day to you

Kiran said...

Happy Mother's day to you too.
Sambar Vada looks very delicious.

Pari Vasisht said...

Thanks so much friends, I was wondering whether people still remember me as I am posting after a long time.

chef and her kitchen said...

I m drooling over d sambar-vadai especially on a weekend morning,wat else one would want??
congrats on ur 250 posts n starting 251th one..:)its been long time I visited this space..howz ur new job?
Happy Mother's day

Vimitha Durai said...

Happy Mother's day dear and congrats on crossing 250 posts... Thats a great milestone. And the sambar vada looks so inviting...

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

Dear Pari,
Good to c ur post on this wonderful day...happy mothers day to u 2 n congrats on another milestone...combo looks yummy n mouthwatering...hope ur mom is feeeling better now..tc n hugs
sana

Raji said...

Perfect looking sambaar vadais.Happy Mother's Day !!!

Nandita SS said...

The vadas look so Crisp and perfect!!! Happy mother's day to you!!!

Kurinji said...

Wow yummy vada and awesome clicks. Tempting me to make it immediately.
Happy Mother's day to you too!!!
kurinjikathambam, Event: HRH-Healthy Summer, Roundup: HRH-Puffed Rice

Kurinji said...

Congrats on your 251th Post!!!

Aruna Manikandan said...

wow....
sambar vadai looks delicious and very tempting dear....
Pass me the bowl..
lovely clicks
congrats on ur 250th post and Happy Mothers' Day :)

Lena Jayadev said...

Hapy mothers day.. you made me nostalgic.. miss the one my mom makes.. this looks delicious :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Happy Mother's day to you. Great looking vadais. Awesome recipe.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

KrithisKitchen said...

Happy Mother's day! Vadas looks awesome and perfect..Great job!
http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Breakfast Club - Pancakes - Roundup

Suji said...

Happyy mother's day to you as well pari, sambar vadas looks too good to resist..

divya said...

Just drooling over that delicious sambar vadai,simply inviting..Happy Mother's day to u too...

Priya Suresh said...

Glad to see u back after a long Pari, Happy mother's day..My fav sambar vadais looks simply irresistible,makes me hungry..

COngrats on ur 250th post..

Zareena said...

Happy mother's day and congrats for your 250th post. Cliks are awesome.

Unknown said...

Happy mother's day to you too dear and congrats on 251st post. Love your vadais. They look so golden and crispy.

JishasKitchen said...

omg..the vadas looks so perfect dear...I have bookmarked it and gonna try this sometime and you have explained it so nicely that I think anyone can make vadas just by reading your post..

Unknown said...

Makes me hungry even after having my lunch looks so tempting

Fajeeda said...

delicious dear......thr r some awards for u in my blog pls come and collect it......

Unknown said...

Sambar vadai looks so inviting and love the way you have served chutney in the coconut shell!

Lorraine said...

Happy belated Mother's Day to you too! Yes, I can relate with you quite well:)

Your dish looks wonderful, delicious combination of flavors.

Rinku Naveen said...

Hi Pari
Crispy and yummy vadas. Great clicks too.First time to your space.
Do stop by mine when time allows.
happy to follow u.

Madhu said...

Lovely pari! I absolutely love the creative way of presenting the chutney :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails