Monday 4 April 2011

Smoked Plantain Kebab with Cream Cheese Stuffing…Awadh meets West


P1060217
Hi All!
I am mighty surprised with myself, I had thought after I start working it would be very difficult to write a post, as a matter of fact even to cook regularly but as I said I surprised myself, though the days are extremely hectic and tiring I cook more regularly than before and I plan my dinner and morning breakfast in advance. Blog hopping has improved but definitely reduced as compared to earlier due to time constraint and at the end of the day I retire early and sleep like a log.
S had got some plantain and with the temperatures soaring day by day I was in a hurry to finish them. I had picked up some charcoal an year back and S had reminded me several times that I am yet to use them. The thought of using the charcoal made the plantain look very inviting and very vaguely I knew what and how I wanted to proceed with them.
The Awadhi cuisine is the highlight of Lucknow and is influence by the Mughal cooking. Kebabs are a speciality of Awadhi cuisine and I had been wanting to give a Awadhi touch to my kebabs.  The smoked flavour in kebabs is the speciality of Awadhi food and  it also makes use of roasted gram flour to provide binding.
I used the charcoal to give a smoked flavour to the plantain  and I must tell you the end result was just awesome, even my MIL who does not praise easily was all gaga about it. We felt that we had an exotic kebab in an expensive restaurant and I in my elated voice did mention to my family that since I served them a very expensive kebab they need to pay me for that.., LOL.
Sending this to my event ‘ONLY’- Fusion hosted by Priya at Now Serving.
P1060226
Ingredients For
Outer Cover
7-8 raw plantains peeled and cubed
5-6 green chillies finely chopped
2 large spoons gram flour roasted
2tbsp fried onion
1tbsp roasted kasoori methi crushed
a large pinch clove pwd
a pinch of cardamom pwd
salt to taste
For the stuffing
2-3 green chillies finely chopped
3tbsp coriander chopped
1/4 cup cashewnuts chopped finely
1tsp grated ginger
2 cubes cream cheese
a pinch of salt
also
oil for frying
charcoal and
a spoon of ghee
Method
Cook the plantain with some salt in a vessel with sufficient water till almost done. Strain the water completely and cook the plantain and then mash it.
P1060196
Add all the other ingredients mentioned under the heading outer cover to it and mix thoroughly. Make a well in the mix.
For the smoky flavour, heat the charcoal on fire and take them in small steel katori and keep it in the well made in the plantain mix and pour a spoon of ghee and immediately cover it with a lid. Leave it covered for about 15 minutes and then remove the charcoal and divide the mix into 12-14 equal parts.
FOOD2-4
Similarly mix all the ingredients under the heading stuffing and divide it into 12- 14 equal parts.
FOOD2-5
Flatten each part of plantain mix and keep one part of the stuffing on it, seal from all the sides, flatten it again and reshape.
P1060209
P1060213
Fry in oil or ghee on a medium flame till golden in colour.
P1060214
Serve with onion rings and coriander- yogurt chutney.
For Coriander –Yogurt Chutney
Grind together 1 garlic pod, a small bunch of coriander, 1/2tsp rock salt, common salt to taste and 1/2 cup yogurt into a fine paste, add water if required.
P1060234


If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

44 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice recipe....

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Delicious and sinful

Indian Khana said...

This looks awesome ...I liked the twist Pari ..hope you work is going well

Raks said...

You are so good at making kebabs,looks wonderful,nice recipe!

Ramya said...

What a delicious kebab.. I bet that is super tasty..!!great pictorial

Rani acharyulu said...

Wow,great pictures and delicious kababs.Looks so tempting..

Suman Singh said...

These looks really tempting and yummy!

Rekha shoban said...

healthy cheese stuffing!interesting one!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Plantain Kababs look simply heavenly. Loved the crispiness look of it. Wonderful preparation.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Madhu said...

What a unique recipe! Thanks for sharing Pari.

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Delicious looking kababs...Very inviting...

kitchen queen said...

lovely and tempting kababs.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow thats quite a new kebab for me, looks super delicious and yummy..thanks for sharing Pari..

Priya Sreeram said...

Pari this one is truly a treat to the eyes and must have been delightful to eat as well- greatttt ! loved it gal

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

very new and yummy one.great creativity pari

Prema said...

Well explained dear,very nice recipe...will try it.

Unknown said...

this is something new and interesting..yumm

Prathima Rao said...

These are tempting kebabs!!! Lovely clicks ;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Archana said...

Yummy! Must try!

Vidhya said...

Kababs look so tempting.

Khaugiri said...

Luv the variation of kebab!

Vimitha Durai said...

Yummy kebabs... I liked the smoked effect...

Shanavi said...

Very good recipe ,makes my mouth watering now..

Swarnavalli Suresh said...

yummy kebab...lovely clicks..

kittymatti said...

wow1 this looks so delicious...nice recipe.

Unknown said...

that a real tempting dish Pari!...very nice!...
Smitha
Smitha's Spicy Flavors

Sushma Mallya said...

Lovely recipe Pari, looks delicious:)

Sravs said...

so delicious and very tempting kebab !!

Amritha Kalyani said...

woww.. yummy.. delicious kebab with cream cheese. very new and interesting dish..

Suji said...

This is a great snack Pari..Awesome..

Radhika said...

Absolutely Brillinat Pari. Must have been Awesome with the smokey flavor. I am loving it.

KrithisKitchen said...

Looks so so good... lovely kebabs..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Herbs & Flowers in my Platter - Coriander/Cilantro
Breakfast Club - Pancakes

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Turned out perfect.........

Gauri Trivedi said...

Never tried any Avadhi food before.your recipe looks delicious..

Renee said...

this is a real fusion...plantain n cream cheese :) looks great!

Nandinis food said...

Great fusion recipe...Nice combo! Looks great! Love the dip nearby...

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

neat presentation...looks lovely...thanks pari for sharing..:)
Tasty Appetite

Harper said...

I love your blog! new follower, && this recipie looks so yummy! I'm going to try your kidney bean and zucchini seekh kebabs later this week! :) mind checking out my new blog?

Holden @ SUGARbijoux

Chaitanya said...

Thanks for visiting my blog ...you have a lovely collection of recipes ...Nice presentation ... new kebab for me, looks delicious and yummy..
www.rajafood.blogspot.com

chow and chatter said...

wow what an amazing kebab never knew you could use plantains like this

Suchitra Vaidyaram said...

love raw bananas and your kebab is really innovative

Mehjabeen Arif said...

wow pari.. thats a lot of work there. super step by step photos.. congrats on ur new job..

new to ur blog n happy to follow u..

do visit me when u get time
http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

Cocco said...

Yummi, I love plantain and now I´m in love this recipe. Try to do it. Nice to follow you!!!

From the Caribean Island,

Aprendo-y-cocino.blogspot.com

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Now I've shared the info with my blogger buddies about your giveaway with thel link to this post and liked you on fb too. Already in GFC and ys I have already put a comment before to mention my likes n dislikes n everything.
So herez my link where I shared your give away info

http://cook-ezee.blogspot.com/2012/02/raw-papaya-erisserykannur-style-raw.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails