Thursday 2 December 2010

Italian Veggie Squares….an easy way to win a child


P1040972

Hi all!
Last few days were very hectic and I felt that they were just flying. I had loads to finish especially the two round ups of the events and on top of it it was S’s birthday too, nothing could be ignored.
On S’s birthday I made Kakdiche Thalipeeth for breakfast and his favorite Menthya Soppu Bhath for his lunch box. I had planned to make a black forest cake for him. I separated the egg whites and yolks, beated the whites added the sugar and folded the flour and baked it too. While the cake was getting baked and I was making the ganache, I realised that I did not add the egg yolks to the cake batter…too late to add it. I continued  baking  the cake and realized later that it had a hard crust. I did not take any pains to beat the cream and just sandwiched the ganache in the two slices of cake and poured the ganache on top. The cake tasted like ‘rote’ which my great grandmother used to make in my childhood. The cake got over as it tasted good but I was surely disappointed with myself.
Anyhow, I have one enduring challenge these days, that’s to feed my younger one veggies. His recent hatred for them keeps me on toes all the time to improvise dishes where I can hide and sneak more veggies.
During my college days I had attended my friend Shweta’s birthday party. Her SIL had made an excellent snack/ starter called the Italian sandwich. The sandwich was extremely tasty and I asked her to share the recipe with me. I tried the recipe the very next day at home and my family loved it. I used to make it quite frequently in those days and post marriage somehow I never made it.
In my recent quest of searching veggie based preparations I was reminded of the Italian sandwich that I used to make. I thought of making it for the family and I made it for the breakfast, served it first to S who liked it and asked me to repeat the entire recipe, then I gave it to my younger one who initially frowned looking at the veggies but on tasting a bite, finished the entire plate saying it’s yummy. This recipe is so simple to make, the only time it takes is to chop the veggies.
I found this preparation a good way to win my child’s heart and I am sure whoever tries it will love it.
P1040975

Ingredients
7-8 bread slices
50 ml fresh cream
1 green capsicum chopped
1 carrot grated
1 onion finely chopped
10-12 french beans finely chopped
salt to taste and
white pepper pwd about 2 tsp
1/2 cup Semolina
Method
Food12-7
In the cream mix all veggies and season with salt and pepper. This batter should be of a coating consistency as the veggies lose water on adding salt, so as a precaution add half the cream first and once the salt is added then after 5 minutes add more cream if required. In case you want to make for a large group keep mixing in batches as the mixture made needs to be used instantly.
Spread about 2 table spoons of the mix on a bread slice.
Sprinkle a little semolina on top.
Heat a non stick pan and toast the bread first on the veggie side, this takes about 5-6 minutes on low flame. Carefully turn it and toast the plain side of the bread. One does not need any butter or oil for toasting as the cream releases it’s own butter.
Cut into squares and serve immediately.
P1040968
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

35 comments:

Vidhya said...

what a nice way to make the kids eat vegetables. Looks really inviting Pari...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Veggie Sqare looks so beautiful . Must have tasted great as well. Lovely write up and clicks.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Unknown said...

Hey,

Beautiful squares...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Nithu Bala said...

Looks so delicious..great click Dear:-)

harini-jaya said...

absolutely a winner!! I used to make a slightly different versaion known as sooji toast ..shall hv to try this out too..

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Why kids Pari...
I m tempted ..and feel like I need a bite...

Pavani said...

veggie squares looks yummy..

Sanjeeta kk said...

Looks delicious,like the recipe.

Umm Mymoonah said...

Lovely veggie squares.

Khaugiri said...

Lovely squarsPari!!! An Belated Birthdy wishes to S !!!

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Lovely!!! Not only Kids, definitely it pleases adults tooo!!!!

Unknown said...

look tempting n heathy...nice appetizer!

chef and her kitchen said...

They look nice.....definitely a treat for kids as well as adults..:)

Nisa Homey said...

I need a bite.......

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp, very fantastic veggie squares..

Swathi said...

Italian veggie square looks delicious Pari.

Santosh Bangar said...

lovely veegges looking beautiful as welll as tasty

Suja Manoj said...

Beautiful and delicious squares.

Madhavi said...

Delicious post, looks gooood :))

Unknown said...

Nice recipe..True treat for kids..just gonna grab few from the click..

Krishnaveni said...

lovely snack for kids, love it

Krishnaveni said...

lovely snack for kids, love it

Suji said...

Italian squares looks yummm

Rachana said...

Veggie squares look so inviting... a great way to eat all the veggies :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds too good :)

R said...

my kids will luv these!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

awesome squares...

Savi-Ruchi said...

looks cool!

Smita Srivastava said...

Love the lovely innovative recipe ... Great for tiffin treats !!!

Priya Sreeram said...

loved it-very unique way to attract a child's taste buds

Rumana Rawat said...

Wow!!!!! this is so different dish:)

Satya said...

hi pari ,
its defiantly a gr8 treat for anyone ...love those cute looking veggie squares..yummmy ...just now note the recipe of ur kakadiche thalipeeth ..looks amazing,will try it soon

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Gayathri Kumar said...

Looks so lovely. Love to try it..

Unknown said...

Oh this is lovely!

Mehnaz Kapadia said...

Hey this is easy and healthy too! Thanx 4 d recipe! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails