Friday 28 May 2010

Maavinkaayi Chitranna (Raw Mango Rice)– Recipe 1, Step Wise|Karnataka Cuisine

 
DSC_3871-001

Hello friends.
As I have mentioned earlier too that with the onset of summer the markets get flooded with Mangoes. We try to use mangoes in all forms whether it’s ripe or raw. I make many recipes using raw mangoes and this is S’s favorite. He had reminded me several times that I had not prepared this and his favorite Maavinkayi chutney which I have posted earlier.
Today I decided to please him so I made this Chitranna, which is a preparation with rice. Now when it comes to regional recipes from Karnataka my ultimate source is my MIL so to re-affirm the recipe I called her up and am glad I did that because she gave me more variations to the basic recipe, I thought mentally ‘Sone pe Suhagaa’. This is the very basic recipe and the  many variations  which I learnt will surely post gradually.
 
 
This particular recipe is extremely close to the basic vaggarne anna or what we call phodnicha bhaat in Marathi or baghara chawal in hindi. If you have grated mangoes and cooked rice this is a quick one to make. I love the simplicity of this recipe as with minimum ingredients an extremely tasty preparation is made. I personally love such recipes, as they are always a winner and perfect to impress others!Wink So here goes the recipe..
 
DSC_3881-001
 
Ingredients
5-6 cups of cooked rice
3-4 grated raw mangoes (small ones)
7-8 green chilies
1/2tsp turmeric
3tbsp mix of urad-chana dal
1/2 cup peanuts
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
if required some chili powder
salt to taste
oil for cooking
mustard seeds
4-5tbsp chopped cilantro
 
DSC_3868-001

Method
The rice should be cooked in advance, cooled and the grains separated using hand.
Heat oil and add the mustard seeds and let them splutter, now add the urad-chana dal mix and peanuts and fry them, once they turn golden, tip in the curry leaves and chopped green chilies.
Add the grated mango, turmeric and salt to taste, mix and saute till cooked soft.

P1020759

Mix this to the cooked rice along with some chopped cilantro. Mix gently without breaking the grains.

P1020760
 
Verdict- The rice is extremely tasty, when I mixed the rice and tasted it to check the salt I could not control myself with one spoon and landed eating more. It is tangy and spicy and tantalizes the taste buds. Too good to resist and extremely simple to make.
The ingredients here are as per our requirements one is free to adjust as per one’s taste buds.
 
 
DSC_3895-001

 
 
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

37 comments:

SathyaSridhar said...

Pari, mango rice looks perfect dear came out very delicious n yummy rice...Pari, i like ur previous template n also present one looks also nice dear.

FH said...

How lucky are you with all those Mangoes around, rice looks delicious.

Suji said...

Great new look..Mango rice looks yummy yumm Pari...

Love
Kairali sisters

SS blogs here said...

Ooh.. new look is pretty! :) I like how the text for the post scrolls up but the leaves don't! :) Interesting effect!

Chitranna sounds delicious! Nice pics! Thanks for the recipe. Cheers!

Kiran said...

Pari ,this is my favorite rice too.Will try your recipe soon.Nice template.

MyExperimentsWithFood said...

Rice looks so delicious. Tempalte looks so bright and nice.

ann low said...

Now mango is also in season here. Must bookmark this, looks so yummy!

Rach said...

I love maamidikai mavinkai anna :) This looks yumm. WhEn I do the seasoning, I add dry red chillies also :)

Veggie Hut said...

I am a mango fan..and love anything that has mango.. this preparation of rice is very new to me.. I can feel the smell of its aroma.. yummy.. refreshing new look of the blog!

Swathi said...

Pari,

Mango chitraana looks really yummy. I like the template, check if you can get any summer flowers. These are maple leaves representing autumn.

Angie's Recipes said...

A very delicious mango rice! I love it.
The new blog has a touch of Autumn. Maybe some spring leaves?

Ash said...

I loved the feel of autumn in your space.... feel like making a stay here forever..... And the luscious Mango rice....is YUM!!!!! Very very scrumptious...both the prep & the new layout....... Hugs ))))

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

I'm drooling just by looking at the click my dear..looks too delicious to say no:D

Unknown said...

Pari, it is such a mouthwatering pic, I so want to eat it like now. Beautiful color and pics :)

R said...

luv the new template, looks so colorful :) chitranna looks very yummy!! i luv the tangy flavor.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Hey, that's a wonderful change...!
Looking great yaar..
Mango rice sounds tasty n yummy dear.
Do drop in at my blog sometime

Sonia said...

Oh wow!! nice layout Pari. It's look so fresh and superb! Raw mango rice looks so good. :)

Deepa said...

lovely refreshing look...
hey the chitranna looks so tasty with kairi next to it..slurrpp..yummy

PranisKitchen said...

the new template is really good.looks very fresh.. the mango rice looks delcious and very simple
nice pic too

suma said...

You said it!! Its one of the best preparations with raw mango!!

Indian Khana said...

New template looks gud dear....and so the rice...yummy....long time I had the same....

Priya Suresh said...

Very pleasant template Pari, looks soo beautiful..

Mango rice looks super delicious and love much these sort of tangy rice..

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Pari first of all I loved the new look of ur blog.. Next this is my very fav rice .. and now this step wise pictures makes me drool .. wish to have mango rice right away from the screen.. looks tooooooooo good.

Az said...

Love your blog's new look... the rice looks great.. very colorful... Love it..

Unknown said...

yumy..like the new look too..

Parita said...

Mango rice is one of my favorites, had it once at my friend's place and immediately fell in love with it! Wish I could grab some right now!

Lorraine said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your blog is very nice. I love this recipe. It sounds delicious. The combination of flavors sounds really good. Thanks for the great instruction too!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, blog outlook and mango rice looks super delicious!

Katy ~ said...

YUM Mango rice looks so delicious. I love the colors in this; and the mangoes and spices bring bright flavors. Love this!

Subhie Arun said...

love ur mango rice...frst time here...lov ur space..will keep visiitn...i like ur template too with touch of autumn leaves..

PJ said...

Hi Pari, love the new look of the blog and all the warm tones! the background is perfect. Coming back to the rice, this reminds me of the mango rice we used to love eating at a nearby indian restaurant.. now i just wish i get some nice kairis to make this :)

sangeeta said...

lovely new look of the blog.
I love this rice too.

Kanchan said...

Wonderful Look !
chan distay page ....

mangi rice is new to me ... will give it a try sometime .

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Hey thannx a ton for stopping by , the pops are a Bakerella inspiration dear, not the Giveaway , the GA is for the BIP products!!!

There are a few ways to enter,the list is at the blog post, all the best to u!!
This is an absloutely delicious raw mango recipe!!
I love raw mango too!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Delicious and wonderful click too

Kiran said...

Dear Pari,
I tried your mango rice recipe and posted it in my blog today.Thank you very much for sharing this very delicious mango rice recipe with us.

Shobha said...

Looks so tangy and delicious..
I have to make do with lemon here as we don't get raw mangoes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails